A Mexico spa vacation can be the ultimate in luxury. Whether you opt for the Caribbean or Pacific coasts, you'll find spas with great treatments and stunning scenery - many of them are all-inclusive, too!
The Caribbean coast of Mexico, of course, has abundant white beaches and warm turquoise waters, along with plenty of nightlife.
The Pacific side, on the other hand, has somewhat courser sand and cooler water, but is less crowded and has lots of quaint towns to visit.
Here are some of the best spa vacations in Mexico:
• Ceiba Del Mar Spa Resort, Puerto Moreles - A lovely boutique resort hotel spa in Riviera Maya, the spa offers a wide variety of massages including the Temascal, an indigenous Aztec steam bath and massage treatment performed on the beach with hot volcanic rocks.
• Esencia Hotel and Aroma Spa, Playa del Carmen - A luxury destination spa with private cottages (and butlers!) Esencia also boasts Aroma spa, the first organic spa on the Riviera Maya.
The spa is nestled in a quiet corner of the estate and offers a variety of treatments featuring local fruits, plants and herbs (the herbs are grown on-site). There are steam rooms, massages, and facials, along with yoga and meditation classes.
• Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita, Puerto Moreles - A luxury spa resort in Riviera Maya, the Zoetry destination spas offer nutrition and wellness programs. The Riviera Maya spa has certified Thalassotherapy center and stress-relief and sleep treatment programs.
• El Capricho Spa at Capella Ixtapa - Housed in the elegant and luxurious Capella Ixtapa in Baja California, El Caricho Spa specializes in treatments based on local fruits and flowers (like the luscious mango wrap!). There are plenty of open-air treatment areas, too, on rugged cliffs overlooking the Pacific - gorgeous!
• Prana del Mar Retreat and Wellness Center, Cabo San Lucas - A yoga and wellness retreat on the beach in Los Cabos, along the Baja peninnsula, Prana del Mar offers yoga and pilates programs as well as spa services. It's also an environmentally responsible resort, with solar energy, organic gardens, and recycled water. And you can surf!
• Rancho La Puerta, Tecate - Just an hour from San Diego in Baja California, Mexico, you'll stay in your own private "casita" on the spacious grounds of Rancho La Puerta.
This Mexican spa resort is fitness-oriented, with a wide range of activities, from early-morning hikes to guided meditation while walking the labyrinth. The resort has an organic farm and a cooking school, as well as weekly speakers and evening entertainment.
We love reader suggestions! (You can click on the "suggest a site" button to the left, or "advertising", if you have an activity you think our readers would like).
Here are some of the sites others have suggested: