Midwest US spa vacations can include weight loss spas (one of the best women-only facilities is in the heart of Illinois) or a luxury spa in a top-rated resort (a top pick by Conde Nast that's right along Lake Michigan, in Wisconsin).
You might not think of the midwestern states when you think of spas - but think again! From Chicago day spas to destination spas "away from it all", the Great Lakes states have a lot to offer.
I have to admit a bias, as I'm from the midwest, but it really is a great place for a relaxing vacation. And if your focus is on re-starting a wellness program, a spa in the heartland is a great place to start.
Here are some of the best spas in the Midwest US states:
• ESPA at the Pennisula Hotel, Chicago - One of the most luxurious Chicago spas, ESPA offers a full line of facial and body skin treatments along with massage and de-stressing therapies, right in the heart of downtown.
• The Heartland Spa, Gilman - A weight loss spa about 90 minutes from Chicago housed in a renovated farmhouse.
The women-only health spa is very highly rated and offers fitness programs, mostly vegetarian cuisine, and plenty of outdoor activities.
• Amira Spa at the Homestead Resort, Glen Arbor - Located along Lake Michigan, a little north of Traverse City, the Homestead offers great views of the lake, Sleeping Bear Dunes and the Manitou Islands - all while enjoying a relaxing massage! Treatments incorporate local herbs, fruits, and wines.
• Immerse Spa at the MGM Grand, Detroit - This Las Vegas-style casino hotel in downtown Detroit also offers the Immerse Spa, with couples massage, aromatherapy, body scrubs and wraps, hydrotherapy, and an extensive menu of salon treatments.
• New Buffalo Inn and Spa, New Buffalo - A tiny, cozy inn with 6 cottages and a full-service spa, located in southwestern Michigan. Cottages have fireplaces and jacuzzis; spa services include massages, body treatments, hydrotherapy, and guided meditation.
• Glenmoor Country Club and Spa, Canton - This resort spa offers facials, massages, and salon services in the seclusion of a restored Gothic seminary.
The country club also has fitness facilities and a world-class golf course; packages include a "first spa experience" for teens.
• The Kerr House, Grand Rapids - A destination health spa housed in a lovely B&B, the Kerr House specializes in very personal service. The spa can accommodate only 6 - 8 guests at any one time; programs focus on overall wellness with body treatments, fitness, nutrition and stress-reduction. Day treatments are also available.
• Kohler Waters Spa at the American Club, Kohler - Voted #5 of all top spas in the US by Conde Nast, the Waters Spa, as it's name suggests, offers a wide variety of hydrotherapy and water treatments as well as massage, facials, and salon services.
Located near Lake Michigan in Wisconsin's only 5-star resort, the spa offers weekend packages for girlfriends, couples, and bridal parties.
• Aspira Spa at the Osthoff, Elkhart Lake - About an hour north of Milwaukee, Aspira Spa incorporates Native American rituals with Asian philosophies for a unique spiritual experience.
The spa offers a full range of services from massage, hydrotherapy, and salon services to yoga classes and a meditation room.
• Grand Geneva Resort and Spa, Lake Geneva - WELL Spa at the Grand Geneva Resort offers fitness facilities from pools to basketball and tennis courts. Spa services include salon services, massages and facials, and body treatments.
For more US spas: