A Hawaii or Alaska spa vacation is like icing on the cake of what is already a dream getaway. It may be a bit far to travel for those of us in the continental US, but boy, it's worth the trip!
A massage on a pristine Hawaii beach or spa treatments in the wilds of Alaska - what a treat!
I've enjoyed a massage while vacationing in Hawaii, and it truly added a layer of relaxation to an already wonderful trip. And you can get a treatment for sunburn if needed (which I did!) - it really works!
An Alaska vacation, on the other hand, can be pretty active. A massage after a day of skiing (or dog-sledding!) in the snow.
Here are some of the best spa vacations in Alaska or Hawaii:
• Hotel Alyeska, Girdwood - A gorgeous hotel with spa about an hour from Anchorage, you'll enjoy ski-in, ski-out access and lots of outdoor activities.
After your day of skiing, relax with a massage, skin treatment, or Vichy treatment in the spa.
• Pearson's Pond B&B and Adventure Spa, Juneau - Rated the best bed and breakfast in Juneau, Pearson's Pond offers a full range of spa services in a cozy setting at the edge of a rainforest. Paraffin treatments, massage, a fitness center, and outdoor sauna and hot tubs are among the services available. There's also and award-winning garden, and hiking/biking trails accessible directly from the inn.
• Chena Hot Springs Resort, Pleasant Valley - Located about an hour from Fairbanks, the mineral hot springs located at this resort are world-famous for their healing properties.
You'll also have the opportunity to view the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) or take a dog sled ride in the winter! Then relax with a massage, or visit the Ice Museum.
• Four Seasons Grand Wailea Resort and Spa, Wailea, Maui - With spa cabanas on the beach, this is the place to go for a Hawaii luxury vacation! The spa offers both Eastern and Western body treatments (including, of course, lomi lomi massage).
• Hanalei Day Spa, Hanalei, Kauai - A beauty day spa on the lovely north shore of Kauai, the spa offers facial treatments, hair removal and other esthetic services along with Ayrvedic and Hawaiian massage.
• Lei Spa, Lahaina, Maui - This beauty day spa has a great lomi lomi (Hawaiian massage) and offers massages on the beach! They also offer sunburn relief therapy and detoxifying body treatments. (I've had their sunburn therapy, and it's terrific!)
• Travaasa Spa, Hana, Maui - Formerly the Hotel Hana, with private cottages overlooking the ocean at the end of the famous "road to Hana", Travaasa offers wellness programs such as weight loss and smoking cessation, along with typical spa treatments and salon services. This eco-friendly all-inclusive spa focuses on learning about your body and your health.
• Turtle Bay Resort and Spa, Kahuku, Oahu - The luxury Spa Luana at the resort offers facial and body treatments using Hawaiian ingredients, Hawaiian massage, and beach massages. They also have salon services and fitness programs with a personal trainer.
For more US spas: